• Justeen Dormer

What happens if someone dies without a will?

Having a will prepared is the best way to ensure distribution of a person’s estate is done in accordance with the deceased person’s wishes. Unfortunately, sometimes a person will pass away without a will.

The first step is to conduct a thorough search for the deceased’s will. If no will can be located, the deceased would have died intestate; meaning without a valid will. The provisions in the Succession Act 2006 (NSW) how the assets are dealt with:

  • If the deceased left a spouse and no children, the spouse is entitled to the whole estate;

  • If the deceased left a spouse and children, and the children are the spouse’s children, the spouse is entitled to the whole estate.

  • If the deceased left a spouse and children, but the children are not the spouse’s children, the spouse is entitled to:

  • The intestate’s personal effects;

  • A statutory legacy; and

  • One-half of the remainder (if any) of the estate

  • If the deceased left no spouse or child, then the order of inheritance becomes: their parents; their brothers or sisters; their nephews and nieces; their grandparents; their aunts or uncles; and, finally, their first cousins.

  • Only where the deceased died without any eligible relatives, will their estate potentially pass to the State.

The provisions also apply in the situation that the deceased was not divorced but separated and also in a de facto relationship with another person. Both partners will be eligible beneficiaries of the deceased’s estate.

What happens if someone dies without a will?

What do I do if my friend or family member dies without a Will?

Where the deceased had no valid will, Letters of Administration can be sought from the court to allow for the management and distribution of the estate of the deceased in accordance with the above.

Generally, only those who are entitled to a share of the estate are able to apply for a grant of Letters of Administration. The court may grant Administration to:

  • the spouse of the deceased

  • one or more of the next of kin

  • the spouse jointly with other relatives.

If there is no next of kin, or none that are appropriate or willing to apply for the grant, then the Court may grant administration to the NSW Trustee & Guardian, or any other person the court thinks fit.

It is important to start this process quickly. If you apply more than 6 months after the date of death, you will need to file an affidavit of delay at the Supreme Court of New South Wales explaining the reason for the delay.

Want to learn more? Ready to talk to a lawyer? Get in touch with us.

Will Dispute Lawyers Sydney


Get legal counsel from a team of highly regarded family and will dispute specialists that will proudly fight for everything you are entitled to.


Video calls available daily between 8am to 10pm.

Book an appointment for a free initial consultation today.

We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully. For more information on how we will handle your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Contact Details

+61 2 9098 5750

Opening Hours

Monday - Friday

08:30 - 17:30



Monday - Friday

08:30 - 17:30


"Dormers Lawyers" and "Dormers Will Dispute Lawyers" is a division of Dormer Stanhope Pty Ltd ACN 38 131 529 345. Dormer Stanhope is an incorporated legal practice in NSW. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.


Dormer Stanhope
  • Dormers Will Dispute Lawyers Sydney Facebook
  • Dormers Will Dispute Lawyers Sydney LinkedIn

Copyright © 2021 Dormers. All Rights Reserved.